Orak arik is an Indonesian stir fry dish with eggs and vegetables. There are so many varieties of orak arik since this is a very versatile dish, but I will teach you how to prepare this dish with green beans and carrots.
Green beans and carrots are my favorite combination when cooking orak arik. You can use other vegetables as long as the total weight is 500 grams (slightly more than 1 pound).
If you want a more filling dish, you can use half vegetables and half protein. I highly recommend using fried tofu cubes or fish cakes/fish balls for the protein. An example of this is my orak arik tahu jamur recipe using mushrooms and fried tofu cubes.
Ingredients for Indonesian green bean, carrot, and egg stir fry
- green beans
- salt, pepper, and sugar
- soy sauce
- fish sauce
All of the above ingredients are must-haves, but there are some workable substitutes if you cannot find everything.
The best substitute for green beans is snake beans/Chinese long beans/yardlong beans.
Instead of shallots, you can also use yellow, white, or red onion.
I am using jalapenos since they are almost always available in the grocery stores. You can use Fresno chilies, serrano chilies, or even Thai bird-eye chilies if you love the extra heat. When you want to make this dish as kid-friendly as possible, you can even use bell pepper (red, orange, yellow, or green).
The main seasonings in this dish are soy sauce and fish sauce, so it is not recommended to skip these. The only good alternatives I can recommend are tamari for soy sauce and oyster sauce for fish sauce.
Step-by-step to cook Indonesian green bean, carrot, and egg stir fry
- Lightly beat eggs with salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (or a wok) on medium-high heat. Sauté garlic and shallot until fragrant for about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and green beans, stir to mix, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Push the vegetables to one side, pour the beaten eggs to the empty side of the skillet/wok and stir to make scrambled eggs.
- Mix the scrambled eggs with the rest of the vegetables. Season with soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and pepper. Add chilies and scallions, and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and serve the stir fry immediately with steamed white rice.
Untuk info lebih lanjut,